We want all young people to leave Camden schools as:
- Ambitious, knowledgeable, and intellectually curious critical thinkers, ready to continue learning throughout their lives so they can live, work and manage the challenges of an uncertain world with confidence and skill
- Good communicators and collaborators able to put across their thoughts, feelings and ideas, working well with other people
- Healthy individuals able to manage their own physical and mental well-being, stay safe, lead fulfilling lives and have positive relationships
- Creative and enterprising, able to think creatively and ready to participate positively in life and succeed in work
- Socially and morally responsible changemakers, who not only understand their rights and respect the rights of others but are also able to contribute actively to their community and to the planet.
To achieve this, we need to provide an excellent education for every child in our schools. We also recognise the importance of home learning and early childhood development, and we want to ensure that all young people, particularly those from disadvantaged backgrounds and those with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND), move into adulthood as confident learners. Our vision, therefore, is for all young people in Camden to have:
- A Fair Start
- An Excellent School Experience
- Flourishing Lives
To achieve this vision, demands a curriculum that is inclusive, inspiring, creative and horizon-broadening. There is widespread commitment to this from Camden schools, which all provide a core curriculum designed to develop a broad range of knowledge, skills and attributes that will enable children to thrive. Camden has supported the enrichment of this core curriculum through investment in initiatives such as STEAM, which works with our dynamic business community to drive skills and careers education. Even in the face of financial challenges, we have proudly continued the activities that enrich young people’s education and lives. As part of this we are committed to providing enrichment experiences for every child.
Our Partnership Promise
Camden Learning will:
- make sure every child is known, valued and thrives
- support early learning as the foundation for success
- create opportunities so every teacher enjoys teaching and keeps improving
- build connections to support school and area improvement, innovation, and excellence
- share intelligence and act on evidence
- welcome challenge
- celebrate success
- work with other public services, such as health, safeguarding partnerships and housing
- learn from, and contribute to, the best practice locally and in the world.
- High standards centred on equity and excellence
- Exceptional schools working in collaborative partnership
- A strong place-based system with no child left behind
- A centre of innovation and educational excellence developing ideas and new ways of working
Building Back Stronger – Camden’s Education Strategy to 2030
The Camden Education Strategy ‘Building Back Stronger’ (BBS) sets out a shared vision and ambition for all Camden Schools and stakeholders.
Our ambition for the future is based on the twin pillars of equity and excellence. Our schools do not have to choose between achieving excellence or supporting children who start from a position of disadvantage.A system which is better for disadvantaged children is better for everyone.
Education has the power to transform lives. It nurtures and develops individuals, allowing them to thrive. In Camden, we believe it also has an essential role in helping individuals grow as good citizens, ambitious for change, and able to contribute positively to their communities and society. We recognise the importance of high academic achievements to both individuals and society. But our definition of the purposes of education goes wider than this. Education can shape the values of future generations to create a fairer, more inclusive and sustainable society. The diversity of our school population represents a new and very promising future where difference is a source of strength and a spur to creativity.
This action is rooted in:
- evidence about the needs of children and young people and their families
- what schools have identified as their priorities
- the outcomes that have been commissioned from Camden Learning by the local authority
- the need to ensure that Camden Learning develops and grows as a sustainable and fit-for-purpose organisation
Our ambitions to 2030
To achieve this vision, we need foundations on which to build our work together.
An ambitious inclusive system: A system that breaks down the barriers to learning by calling out inequalities, acting to address them, making sure children and young people feel a strong sense of belonging to school and community so that no one is left behind.
A collaborative and federating system: A system where we use collaboration to motivate, learn and achieve better, taking collective responsibility for all our children, working together in formal and informal partnerships, including federations, so they are served well.
Think, test and Learn: A system where we are constantly developing ideas and new
practice and approaches, learning from research and staying at the leading edge of new and effective practice in education by trialling new ways of working.